We have put up a few lovely quotations and blessings to offer on this occasion as Hanukkah, the festival of lights officially begins today.
The eight-day holiday is commemorated on the eve of the 25th of the Jewish month of Kislev.
The event commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem following Judah Maccabee’s uprising against the Syrian monarch Antiochus.
The main festival for Jews is Hanukkah, which is frequently compared to Christmas because they both fall in the same month.
Candle lighting and prayers are significant components of the event, in addition to gift exchanging and feasting on festive fare.
It starts at dusk on December 18 and lasts through December 25 in 2022. Here are some blessings to say and quotes to share with your family and friends during the course of the next eight days.
- Praised are You, Our God, Ruler of the universe, Who has given us life and sustained us, and enabled us to reach this season.
- Praised are You, Our God, Ruler of the universe, who performed wondrous deeds for our ancestors in those ancient days of this season.
- Praised are You, Our God, Ruler of the universe, who made us holy through Your commandment and commanded us to kindle the Hanukkah lights.
- Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, who performed miracles for our forefathers in those days, at this time.
- Blessed are You, Adonai our God, Ruler of the Universe, who has kept us alive, sustained us and brought us to this season.
Thoughtful quotes to share during the festival of lights
- A candle is a small thing. But one candle can light another. And see how its own light increases, as a candle, gives its flame to the other. You are such a light. – Moshe Davis
- The miracle, of course, was not that the oil for the sacred light in a little cruse lasted as long as they say; but that the courage of the Maccabees lasted to this day: Let that nourish my flickering spirit. – Charles Reznikoff
- Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness. – Anne Frank
- The darkness of the whole world cannot swallow the glowing of a candle. – Robert Altinger
- Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame. – Hannah Senesh
- There is a crack in everything. That s how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen